Wednesday, April 11, 2012

DIY: Handmade Cards

Happy Wednesday!
We're half way through the week, yippee!



***


You may have seen Emily of Cupcakes and Cashmere, post about how she creates her own stationary instead of buying pre-made cards.

I've always liked making my own, not only because it saves money, but because I really like that personal touch... and glitter. Glitter is always incorporated into my crafts in some way or another {see here & here}, and this is no exception!


***

DIY: Handmade Cards



What You'll Need:
Stationary
Envelope
Glitter
Glue Pen
Stamp
Ink {I bought mine from Michaels}
Scissors
Pencil




Directions:
Measure your stationary so that it fits the size of your envelope.


Fold the paper horizontally to make a card.


Start with the cover: 
Write a salutation or greeting; ie. "Hello" or "Congratulations", using your pencil, so you can erase if you have any errors before applying the glue.


Trace your word with the glue pen, and quickly apply the glitter.





Let it sit for at least 15 seconds, and shake off any excess glitter.


On the inside, write a personal note. 
I also chose to draw a few terrible pictures for that added personal touch.
{This card is for a baby shower - Twins!}




Fold close and insert the card into the envelope, making sure the cover with the glitter is facing insideWhen you pull the card out, you do not want to see the salutation, you want the blank side showing.


Using your ink and stamp, stamp the card where the envelope opens.



Let the ink dry, and seal the envelope closed.

***

Inexpensive and made with love.
What more could you ask for?

14 comments:

Sally said...

Love this post!!! So creative you are :) Hope you are well and having a great day xoxo

emily said...

those are seriously adorable. ive gotta get my hands on some martha glitter, i keep seeing it everywhere!
xo, happy wednesday!

Sami said...

Such a cute idea! Plus alot cheaper than buying a $4 card every time!

Sarah said...

I love this! I saw your pictures on Instagram yesterday and thought they were all just so cute :) happy wednesday!

Brittany said...

Awesome idea. I think I will have to try and make one someday with glitter :)

Eat Live Love said...

So cute!!! Love these!

Hannah said...

Super cute! There's something so personal about a card that's homemade :)

Champagne Lifestyle on a Beer Budget

Jamie said...

Adorable. So much cuter than store bought.

Tabitha Mahoney said...

Sooo cute, you're so crafty love it. Wanna make wedding invites jk that's torture lol.

Tab

Emma Frances said...

That is so cute! :] I need to get myself some GLITTER!!!

Becca said...

I love this idea! I can't wait to try it!

http://beginningwithbecca.blogspot.com/

TheUrbanUmbrella said...

What a fantastic idea! You're so creative! I love this idea!
xx


The Urban Umbrella
xoxo


http://www.theurbanumbrella.com/

Janna Bogert said...

I LOVE making cards! Especially with Hallmark's outrageous prices these days. I would go broke trying to buy all the cards that I make to send my husband!

E said...

Cute, simple, and elegant! It's always more meaningful when it's handmade, too. Thanks for sharing this tip!